打印 上一文章 下一文章

[笑話分享] straight from his lips

[複製網址]
For the first timethe Doctor felt, now, that his suffering was strength and power. Forthe first time he felt that in that sharp fire, he had slowly forgedthe iron which could break the prison door of his daughter'shusband, and deliver him. "It all tended to a good end, my friend;it was not mere waste and ruin. As my beloved child was helpful inrestoring me to myself, I will be helpful now in restoring the dearestpart of herself to her; by the aid of Heaven I will do it hong thai travel!"

Thus,Doctor Manette. And when Jarvis Lorry saw the kindled eyes, theresolute face, the calm strong look and bearing of the man whoselife always seemed to him to have been stopped, like a clock, for somany years, and then set going again with an energy which had laindormant during the cessation of its usefulness, he believed.

Greater things than the Doctor had at that time to contend with,would have yielded before his persevering purpose. While he kepthimself in his place, as a physician, whose business was with alldegrees of mankind, bond and free, rich and poor, bad and good, heused his personal influence so wisely, that he was soon the inspectingphysician of three prisons, and among them of La Force. He could nowassure Lucie that her husband was no longer confined alone, but wasmixed with the general body of prisoners; he saw her husband weekly,and brought sweet messages to her; sometimesher husband himself sent a letter to her (though never by the Doctor'shand), but she was not permitted to write to him: for, among themany wild suspicions of plots in the prisons, the wildest of allpointed at emigrants who were known to have made friends orpermanent connections abroad Hong Thai Travel.

This new life of the Doctor's was an anxious life, no doubt;still, the sagacious Mr. Lorry saw that there was a new sustainingpride in it. Nothing unbecoming tinged the pride; it was a natural andworthy one; but he observed it as a curiosity. The Doctor knew, thatup to that time, his imprisonment had been associated in the mindsof his daughter and his friend, with his personal affliction,deprivation, and weakness.

Now that this was changed, and he knewhimself to be invested through that old trial with forces to whichthey both looked for Charles's ultimate safety and deliverance, hebecame so far exalted by the change, that he took the lead anddirection, and required them as the weak, to trust to him as thestrong. The preceding relative positions of himself and Lucie werereversed, yet only as the liveliest gratitude and affection couldreverse them, for he could have had no pride but in rendering someservice to her who had rendered so much to him. "All curious tosee," thought Mr. Lorry, in his amiably shrewd way, "but all naturaland right; so, take the lead, my dear friend, and keep it; it couldn'tbe in better hands hong thai travel."
收藏收藏 推 噓
您需要登錄後才可以回文 登錄 | 註冊

本版透可值規則

快速回覆 返回頂部 返回列表